Contact:

Pat Mathes,CZT
gramtangles@yahoo.com
Facebook: GramTangles

Monday, April 27, 2015

Our Tangled Lives - Interpretation of New Mexico Flag

Members of the Our Tangled Lives group who attended Tangle U 2015 in Santa Fe got together one night to share journals.  The intention was for us to work on a page to interpret the New Mexico flag.  But we were all sharing and looking at journals, and no journal work was done. But I had already prepared a page to use for this prompt so went ahead and did my page, using dyllusion inks for the background.  When I look at the New Mexico flag, my first thought is Arukas.  So I modified that to create the more spokelike appearance.  I have used prismacolor pencils for some shading, and black and red micron.

I am rather fascinated by the lifestyle and culture in New Mexico.  So I did some research on this.  The New Mexico flag is a Zia sun symbol with four points or spokes radiating from the center.  The Zia belief is that Four is a sacred number symbolizing the Circle of Life, the four directions, the four times of day, the four stages of life and the four seasons.  The circle binds the elements of four together. There are four obligations: one must develop a strong body, have a clear mind, be of pure spirit and devotion to the welfare of others.

1 comment:

  1. I love your ZIA interpretation of the New Mexico flag. Many of the Native American peoples also use the number 4 as a sacred number as is also shown in a Hopi medicine circle. This is beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete