Contact:

Pat Mathes,CZT
gramtangles@yahoo.com
Facebook: GramTangles

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Our Tangled Lives - week 15

Our prompt this week in our journal journey is to take the word we selected for the year and reflect on it as we are one-quarter way through the year.  My word for the year was energize.  And boy have I energized.  I was not an artist when I began Zentangle.  And then I learned Zentangle, and it opened the door for me.  "She believed she  could and so she did." I began taking classes in other media and attending labs and researching constantly.  I strive to learn and have done well in some areas and not so well in others.  For this prompt, I did something that I wouldn't have been able to do this time last year.  Now up front I will admit that this is not my original page - I have copied it!  But that is how I learn.  This was a step by step semi-tutorial of a journal page (double page) done by layersofink.blogspot.nl.  It caught my eye mainly because of the quote "She believed she could and so she did." and I decided to see if I could create the page. It began with dylusion inks over textured gesso.  Then tissue paper stamping applied with matte medium.  And the birds painted and branches added. Then the words were stamped or written, and finally the pages were stenciled over with white paint in spots.  I used this as a tool to learn the process.   I learned what to do or not to do next time, and maybe now I can progress to putting my own pages together.   I took a picture of my two-page spread and attached it to my page for this journal using a watercolor background, framing the picture and adding stenciled images.

So my energize comes in learning new processes.  This group has really pushed me outside my comfort zone and I am trying something new pretty much each week.

1 comment:

  1. So nice!!! I'm jealous! Haven't lifted a pen or paintbrush in weeks. Packing, staging, sucks the life out of the art for me! Love seeing you grow in your art. Living vicariously thru your fun and beautiful work. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete