Contact:

Pat Mathes,CZT
gramtangles@yahoo.com
Facebook: GramTangles

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Journaled and Tangled

Here is another practice page from my journal.  Someone commented on the last one that they are too nice to be practice and why do I call them practice pages.  Here is how I work in this journal.  It is a simple sketchbook with an 8"x12" page when both sides are used.  I pick a pattern or two or three that I want to practice.  I place those patterns on the page randomly.  I have two weaknesses (actually I have more, but we'll just talk about two).  One is composition and the other is leaving white spaces.  So that is what this journal is about.  Once I put my practice patterns on the page, I then start to work on what will join them.  Always remembering to leave the white space.  So they are literally practice pages.  And then I work on the shading.  In this one, I have used Krugel, Fohbraid, Ruf'l.  On the right, my abundie looks like it took steroids.  I used shining and line drawing to even out the pages.


11 comments:

  1. I think all the weaknesses are in your head, not your journal! (Sorry, just re-read that and it looks all wrong. I mean, of course, that the weaknesses are visible to you, not me. Duh! Try to say something nice and it comes out all wrong!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Margaret was saying that you have a weak head, but I could see how one could think that she was. ;-) I might have to copy your practice journal idea. I can be sooo derivative sometimes. I think we used to call that being a Copy Cat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so many journals started and then, "oh, shiny" and I'm off elsewhere. Wonderful idea and I should continue to do it myself. I love this page. What fun it would be to color it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, beautiful! And I love to hear about your practice journal - it's a great process to make your tangles work together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I have so many journals.. I never have the patience to finish a journal before I begin another.. This is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG - this is sooooo beautiful, dear Pat. You should frame your practice book :-) it is wonderful and amazing in the flow.
    Maybe sometimes better then the small tile?!

    I have For Site 5 workbooks and the tangle-a-das campende, Love to work here and there (like a nee 😉), but almost never One Wochen Composition. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful journal page!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this one in your journal :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does your traveling Zendala count as organic!? It reminds me of a flower!
    http://www.clearprintpaperco.com/#!cross-country/c1oyi

    ReplyDelete