Contact:

Pat Mathes,CZT
gramtangles@yahoo.com
Facebook: GramTangles

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Tangled Lives Week 50

A year almost done.  And I am so pleased to say I have completed every prompt for the year - one each week.  Some took more time than others, and some were easier than others, but they were all done.

This week we were challenged to create tags/labels for ourselves.  There are two ways to look at this.  You could use kind labels, which hopefully is where we all are at in our lives.  And labels that we would use to describe ourselves.  I am a mother, a grandmother, a sister, a friend, an artist, and so on, but that is almost cookie cutter in its own way.  Am I a good friend; am I a good artist - these are such general labels that don't really give an insight to what is inside.

But face reality, not all labels are kind.  Growing up, children can be mean and label another child as fat, ugly, stupid, etc.  Sometimes those labels stay with that person inside their own minds.  If you have negative people around you, you can be labeled as not successful, not pretty, not smart, etc.  And labels can lead to stereotypes, as we see in our world today.  If you are labeled old, you are stereotyped as helpless and frail.  So I ask that no labels be placed on me.  I am an individual and will keep my labels internal and ever changing.

This is not meant to be a negative representation of this prompt - it is just kind of from my heart having suffered through some of those labels in the past.  I hope I don't offend anyone by my take on this.  (And maybe you will read between the lines and see where I am coming from with this - labels haven't been kind to me in the past)

1 comment: