Contact:

Pat Mathes,CZT
gramtangles@yahoo.com
Facebook: GramTangles

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Our Tangled Lives

Week 10 already this year! Our challenge this week is to visit the Irish in our self.  I know I have always felt I had a little bit of Irish in me, even though I can't verify that.  I have had a lot of fun over the  years researching some of the Irish mythology.  And I love trees, so it was only fitting that I do my journal pages on the Tree of Life.

Ancient Celts believed that the tree symbolized balance and harmony in nature.  The Celtic tree of life is often drawn showing the branches reaching skyward and the roots spreading out into the earth below, symbolizing the Druid belief in the link between.  The ancient celts also believed that different types of trees served different mystical purposes that helped them through their life.

I started my background with some distress inks, mixed in some gelatos, and then while all of it was still somewhat wet, I misted it and then swiped through with some white gesso to lighten the background a bit.  This was a bit difficult and took quite a bit of time.  I have studied Celtic knotwork and practiced it, but usually on graph paper or on a strict grid.  This was done on a circular frame.  But I am pleased with the outcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment