Contact:

Pat Mathes,CZT
gramtangles@yahoo.com
Facebook: GramTangles

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Our Tangled Lives Weeks 16-17 Trees

I am combining Weeks 16 and 17 in Our Tangled Lives.  Week 16 is the current week, and is based on Trees.  Then the prompt for Week 17 was revealed to be about trees also.  Like minds, huh?  So I spent quite a bit of time on one page for both prompts.  My tree is a fantasy tree based on Johanna Basford's trees.  I like the style and try to believe in the idea that things don't have to be a true representation, which lets me create more freely and not worry about the perfection.  So I created this tree, and carried the fantasy into the colors.  It's funny, when I was growing up, we didn't have a lot of trees.  If you saw trees in our part of the country, it was because there was either water there or had been water.  I grew up in what was the Dust Bowl area of the 1920s.  So when I first traveled east and saw the trees, I was in awe.  I still am when I see a lot of trees.  I think that is part of my fascination with trees - the lack of them when I was growing up.  They are beautiful and majestic.  I adore Ansel Adams' tree photos.  And I take photos of strange trees - twisted trees, fallen trees, trees struck by lightning, etc.  So this prompt led me to create my fantasy tree.  I used watercolor, Tombow markers, Koh-i-Noor Tri-Color pencils, and gelly roll.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful colours, shapes and affirmations!

    ReplyDelete