So I had in mind poinsettias and a garland with a lantern and candle. Vague, huh? I went to World Market and looked at lanterns to get an idea what I wanted. Then I started experimenting with the Zentangle pattern Laflor to make the Poinsettias. I worked with that on tan to get the toning down - not a lot of color, just enough to pop it. Here is my test page (well, the one I am showing. I think I did about 6 sketches before getting to this point.)
So I really liked the way the poinsettia-like flowers worked, and decided to start on the page. Now, this paper is grey, but I love the splotchy look of the gray. I used one of my sketches to lay down the linework on this. Here is the first result of the linework.
Now I will start color and shading and highlights when I return to my home tomorrow. I have been at my son's house in Colorado where the weather didn't allow for much other than sitting around the fireplace with a sketchbook!!
Once I finish, I will post the resulting page. I am so excited to get this one done since it has been in my mind for a month!!